Friday, April 19, 2013

Mexican Shrimp Cocktail

Here is another recipe I found on the WW message boards. I can not tell you of its origin but I am in LOVE with this shrimp dish. It is part Shrimp Cocktail, part Ceviche, part Gazpacho and maybe part Bloody Mary. Perfect for warmer weather if it ever gets here for good. I foresee myself making this many times this summer. I have already made it twice in two days. Two new ingredients to me are Cholula hot sauce and Clamato tomato-clam juice. Cholula is an amazing smoky Mexican hot sauce. You do need this hot sauce. It is nothing like Tabasco or Louisiana hot sauce. So don't make a substitution. Add this to your grocery list. I used 2 tablespoons and it was not spicy but smoky. When I used 3 tablespoons it was both spicy and smoky. I am sure I will find many other uses for this condiment. I have to admit I avoided Clamato juice, but now I am a fan. It is perfect in this dressing, boosting the seafood flavor. This dish is great with just a spoon to scoop up all this delicious dressing. It is also great with tortilla chips. I bet it would make a great tostado or lettuce wrap too. Put this one on your to do list this summer. You will not be disappointed.





Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
Makes 8 appetizer or 4 entree servings

Ingredients

1 lb. small/medium shrimp (51/60 count), peeled and deveined
Kosher salt
Juice of 2 limes
1/2 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
1/2 English cucumber, sliced and quartered
2 small tomatoes, cut into 1" dice
1/4 cup minced cilantro, plus additional for garnish
1 small avocado

Sauce:
1/2 cup Clamato tomato-clam juice
1/4 cup ketchup
2 - 3 tablespoons Cholula Mexican hot sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon cumin

Directions

Bring a medium-large pot of water to a simmer with 2 teaspoons of kosher salt and the juice of one lime. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring, for a minute or so, just until shrimp are turning opaque; they should be almost but not quite cooked through (the shrimp will finish cooking as they cool). Drain and place in a bowl. Toss with remaining lime juice and refrigerate for 20 minutes or more.

Meanwhile, make the sauce: place the Clamato, ketchup and hot sauce in a small bowl and whisk until blended. Slowly pour in the oil, while continuing to whisk, until oil is incorporated. Mix in the cumin and a pinch of kosher salt. Taste for seasoning and adjust, adding more salt or hot sauce to taste.

Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Slice the avocado in the skin. Slice into slices and each slice in half. Using a large spoon, remove the flesh from the skin.

Toss the cooled shrimp with vegetables and cilantro. Pour the sauce over, toss again, and taste for seasoning.







Linking to:
Buns in My Oven: What's Cookin' Wednesday
Jam Hands: Recipe Sharing Monday
Life on Lakeshore Drive: A Bouquet of Talent Linky Party
Memories by the Mile: Tuesday Trivia - GEORGIA
Ms.enPlace: See Ya in the Gumbo
Six Sisters' Stuff: Strut Your Stuff Saturday Link Party

5 comments:

  1. Interesting... Your blog post is the second one I have read this week which includes Clamato juice as an ingredient. I had never even heard of such a product before. I've never seen it in any stores where I've lived - and still wouldn't know where to buy a bottle of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! So glad to meet you. Clamato is something I was scared to try. I mean clam juice? But it is great. It is thinner than tomato juice and very fresh tasting not fishy. I found it next to the tomato juice. I hope you find it one day. Have fun cooking!

      Delete
  2. Just perfect for the warmer weather we're about to get. :)

    I'm visiting/following today from Let's Get Social Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by today. I hope you have a great week!

      Delete
  3. This looks like perfect eat out on the deck food! Thank you for linking, Denise. Great spin on shrimp cocktail.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...