Thursday, August 8, 2013

Green Tomato Gazpacho

Mom and I drove out to Ed Lester Farms last Wednesday. Last week was the last week they would be open this year and my very first visit. I was very impressed. The farm stand is under a beautiful ancient looking oak tree. They have fashioned a wood deck to walk on and provide plenty of shade to shop under. They also play very pleasant music and have two large rockers to sit in if you need a rest. I went with the pre-conceived notion that I wanted to make gazpacho and caponata. They had everything I needed. I bought green tomatoes, cucumbers, jalapenos, two types of eggplants, red peppers, green peppers, and zucchinis. So I have a lot of cooking to do.

The first recipe I made was Green Tomato Gazpacho. I looked at lots of recipes and they called for lots of olive oil and bread. The gazpacho I usually make is a lighter recipe and uses half the olive oil of a traditional recipe and no bread. So I did some experimenting. I was very pleased with the outcome. I thought the green tomatoes would be tart compared to ripe tomatoes. They turned out to be sweet and crisp. The finished gazpacho had a great texture, sort of crunchy like pickle relish. It was also creamy tasting as if I added cream but I did not. I loved the herb combination too. I used some purple basil I have growing on the patio and I thought the color combination was beautiful. It would be a beautiful starter for summer meal. I enjoyed it as a light lunch and a mid afternoon snack. I will make this recipe again when I find green tomatoes.




Green Tomato Gazpacho
Serve 6; Makes approx. 6 cups

Ingredients

6 green tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 English cucumber, almost peeled and chopped
1 shallot, diced
1/2 jalapeno pepper, diced
2 tsp cilantro, minced and divided(1 tsp to be stirred in)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp light agave nectar
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. lime juice
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp white pepper
1 tsp mint, minced
2 tsp basil, minced

Directions

Combine half of the first six ingredients in a blender, blend until there is room in the blender for other half of the ingredients. Blend until finely chopped and well combined. With blender running, gradually add agave, then oil; purée until a “salsa” consistency. Add lime juice, salt and pepper, blend to incorporate. Place in a large plastic or glass pitcher, stir in remaining cilantro, mint and basil. Refrigerate until chilled. 





Linking to:
My Turn for Us: Freedom Fridays
Ms. enPlace: See Ya in the Gumbo
The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen: Show Me Your Plaid Mondays
Call Me PMc: Marvelous Mondays Link Party
Jam Hands: Recipe Sharing Monday
Anyonita's Nibbles: Tasty Tuesdays
Love Bakes Good Cakes: All My Bloggy Friends
Memories by the Mile: Tuesday Trivia-Ohio and Link Party
Premeditated Leftovers: Hearth and Soul Hop
Buns In My Oven: What's Cookin Wednesday
Miz Helen's Country Cottage: Full Plate Thursday
Carole's Chatter: Food on Fridays - Cucumber

2 comments:

  1. I've been looking for a good gazpacho recipe. Have tried a few and they just weren't there. Using green tomatoes may be what I need--that crisp flavor like you described.

    Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to have a Green Tomato Gazpacho, this will be delicious. Hope you are having a great weekend and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come Back Soon
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...