Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Chicken Pot Pie Soup

This soup has been years in the making. I began developing this recipe after making someone else's version of Chicken Pot Pie Soup. It was good but not what I thought of when I hear chicken pot pie. I have been tweaking it a little each time I make it until I decided this is how I want to make it every time. This is the third recipe I made with those baked chickens I made a few weeks ago. You are probably thinking to yourself what took her so long to post this? Or maybe, she isn't using week old chicken? No the photos are that old. I had a slight mishap when taking my photos. You see, I will let you in on a little secret. Sometimes food stylist place a small dish in soup bowls so the ingredients sit on the bowl and show up at or above the liquid in the soup. This usually works well. See the bowl in the fore ground, you can see all the ingredients. The bowl in the background not so much. But this time, the little bowl I used floated up above the liquid. I did not notice it until I went to edit the photos. I never watch the ingredients in the bowl when I take the photos. You would think the food should stay put right? I am always look at the composition. Whoops! Well it has taken me this long to photoshop the photos and muster the courage to go ahead and post them anyway. I am a novice at photoshop and had a hard time making that little bowl disappear. The soup on the other hand disappeared fast. This soup has all the creamy, savory goodness of a chicken pot pie without the crust. I love all the veggies. You can use your favorites. I have tried many combinations and they are all great. But I have to say this combo of onion, celery, carrots, peas and potatoes is what makes it like my favorite pot pie. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.


Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Serves 6

Ingredients 

2 Tbsp. chicken fat, olive oil or butter
1 onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 clove garlic smashed
1 Idaho potato, peeled and diced
2 cans healthy request cream of celery or cream of chicken soup (I like 1 of ea.)
4 cups fat-free unsalted chicken stock 
2 cups water 
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. Herbs de provenance
2-1/2 cups cooked chicken, chopped 
1-1/2 cups frozen peas
1/2 tsp. kosher salt, or to taste 
1/4 tsp. black pepper, or to taste 
Pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste
1/4 cup half and half

Directions 

In a Dutch oven, sauté the onion, celery and carrot in chicken fat over medium high heat. Season with salt and pepper; sauté until veggies begin to soften. When onion is translucent and starts to get golden, add garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add potatoes, cream soup, chicken stock, water, bay leaf, Herbs de provenance and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add chicken and peas to pot; bring back to a simmer. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Simmer for 5 minutes or until peas are thawed and chicken is warm through. Add half and half, stir to combine. Remove bay leaf, turn off heat and serve.




See that little white bowl peeking through the soup and veggies. 
Sneaky little bowl!


Linking to:
Love Bakes Good Cakes: The Ultimate Soup Recipe List Linky

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...