Friday, April 15, 2016

Thai Coconut Vegetable Soup

The other day I was at the store picking up the ingredients to make a pot of Hot and Sour Vegetable Soup. I was reaching for bamboo shoots when I saw the coconut milk. That is when the wheels started turning, what if I added coconut milk to the soup? I got both and I just kept thinking. By the time I got home I had decided that adding coconut milk would make the soup more Thai style. So I did some research. Most of the soup recipes I saw included ginger, lemon grass, fish sauce, herbs (basil or cilantro), chili paste, and coconut milk. Well I did not have lemon grass but I had everything else. So I went for it. I think it turned out amazing. I used a combination of lemon and lime juice to compensate for the lemon grass. I would not call the soup authentic at all but it was surely delicious. I did keep the simple cooking method or the Hot and Sour Soup. It is pretty much a dump and stir recipe. Ready in 10 minutes. I loved all the Thai flavors of curry, fish sauce and ginger. I think next time I may peel and slice the ginger in thin threads. I think I would enjoy leaving it in the finished soup. I loved the creaminess of the coconut milk too. It really balanced all the red curry heat. This is another great soup option. I see making it again soon.


Thai Coconut Vegetable Soup
Serves 4 to 6

Ingredients

Coconut oil spray
1/4 cup onions, diced
4 slices fresh ginger
1 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped plus more for garnish
4 cups unsalted chicken stock
16 oz. package frozen stir fry vegetables (I used a sugar snap blend with carrots and mushrooms)
1 cup sliced mushrooms(I used reconstituted Shiitake, stem removed)
2 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
2 Tbsp. fish sauce
2 Tbsp. Thai red curry paste
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 – 2 tsp. brown sugar
1 tomato, seeded and cut into strips
13.66 oz. can lite coconut milk
1 green onion, sliced
1 jalapeno, sliced
Lime, cut into wedges

Directions

Spray a soup pot with coconut oil, sauté onions, ginger and 1 Tbsp. cilantro over medium high heat. When onions begin to soften add chicken stock. Bring chicken broth to a boil, add frozen veggies, mushrooms and turn off heat. Add remaining ingredients except jalapeno, remaining cilantro and lime wedges; stir to blend. Remove ginger slices. Serve garnished with jalapeno slices, additional cilantro and a lime wedge.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...