Saturday, October 5, 2013

Veggie Eggs Benedict

I LOVE Eggs Benedict! I am the person that still orders it at IHOP even though it is no loner on their menu. We have a restaurant in town called Another Broken Egg Cafe. They serve at least six different Eggs Benedicts. When I went there I ordered the Veggie Benedict. It was so good! I immediately tried to recreate it at home. I have been making it for a few years now with HG’s Mock Hollandaise. Well recently I learned how to make real deal Hollandaise in the microwave. I just had to try my Veggie Eggs Benedict with this new sauce. It is amazing and so easy! Not as healthy as Mock Hollandaise but it is so worth the occasional calories. I love the hollandaise with the runny egg yolk. So rich! Don’t worry the veggies make it healthy right? It sounds and looks like too many veggies in the beginning, but they cook down to just the right amount for each muffin. Now I am telling you I am not the expert on poaching eggs, so poach them as you like of even fry them if you want. Any way you like them is going to be amazing with the veggies and the decadent hollandaise sauce. Trust me.


Veggie Eggs Benedict
Serves 2 to 4

Ingredients

1 Tbsp butter
8 mushrooms, sliced
1 broccoli crown, cut into florets
16 grape tomatoes, halved
4 cups baby spinach
Spiced Salt, to taste
2 Light English muffins, fork split and toasted
4 large eggs, poached

For Hollandaise:
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 egg yolks
2 Tbsp hot water
2 dashes Tabasco
1 tsp lemon juice
Salt and white pepper, to taste

Directions

In a large skillet sauté the mushrooms, broccoli and tomatoes in butter. When the veggies have begun to soften add the spinach. Sauté until spinach is wilted and broccoli is tender. Keep warm. Toast the English muffins. Poach or fry the eggs as you like them (I like the white set and yolk runny).

Melt the butter in the microwave on high for about 30 – 45 seconds. In another microwave bowl whisk egg yolks incorporating 2 Tbsp of warm water, lemon juice, Tabasco, salt and pepper. When combined, whisk in the melted butter and place in the microwave. Microwave on high for 15 seconds, whisk well and microwave for another 15 seconds and whisk again. Sauce is ready when thick and pale yellow. Top each muffin with a portion of the veggies, an egg, and hollandaise sauce. Enjoy!


Basic Poached Egg Directions:

Crack egg gently into a small cup or dish. Fill a medium-sized pot with 2 inches of water, and bring water to a boil. Once boiling, lower temperature until a steady and consistent, but VERY low, boil is reached. Gently pour in the egg and allow to cook for 3 - 5 minutes (3 for a runnier egg, 5 for very firm), or until egg white is mostly opaque. Carefully remove egg by sliding a spatula underneath it and placing it on a plate. Use a paper towel to soak up any excess water.



Linking to:
My Mixing Spoon: Random Recipe Roundup Linkie Party
The Chicken Chick: Clever Chicks Blog Hop
This Gal Cooks: Marvelous Mondays
Ms. enPlace: See Ya the Gumbo
The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen: Show Me Your Plaid Mondays
The Tumbleweed Contessa: What'd You Do This Weekend?
Anyonita Nibbles: Tasty Tuesdays
Memories by the Mile: Tuesday Trivia-Delaware and Link Party
Love Bakes Good Cakes: All My Bloggy Friends
Buns in My Oven: What's Cookin' Wednesday
Miz Helen's Country Cottage: Full Plate Thursday
My Turn for Us: Freedom Fridays

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for linking, Denise. I always enjoy it when you recreate restaurant dishes that you loved. Your excitement shines through in your post.

    I've never seen an Eggs Benedict like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to get veggies into breakfast. Thank you for sharing. Stopping by from tasty tuesdays. I will pin this one for later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking to What'd You Do This Weekend? I love veggie-anything.

    Wishes for tasty dishes,
    Linda @ Tumbleweed Contessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea and it looks delicious! Hope you are having a fun weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...