Thursday, January 22, 2015

Pulled Pork Rellenos Tacos

Don't you think it is time for another Chili Rellenos Taco? I do! This is Virginia BBQ meets Relleno Tacos. When I was in Charlottesville, Virginia I tried some Pulled Pork at The Ordinary at Michie Tavern. It was delicious, not heavily smoked or over sauced. It was moist, very flavorful and not too sweet. I purchased the cookbook in the gift shop but I was a little disappointed that the pulled pork recipe was not in the cookbook. So I began to search. I found a crockpot recipe at food.com for Virginia Barbecue. It was not the same but very tasty. I love the dry mustard in the sauce. Like the pork at the Ordinary it is flavorful, not too sweet and not over sauced. You can really taste the pork. The first time I made it, I served it on hamburger buns to the family with my Men's Club Coleslaw. It was very good but totally sogged out the bun. You needed a fork to eat it. It was then I had the idea of these tacos. I went to the store to buy poblanos but I could not find them. So the leftovers went in a baked potato instead. Also great!

Finally with the poblanos and all other ingredients in hand I was able to make these tacos tonight. It was just as good as I had imagined. The poblano adds a layer of heat and smoke and it also help prevent the tortilla from getting soggy. It cradles the pork so well. I loved everything together. It is warm and spicy from the pork and chili. It is also cool and creamy from the coleslaw. The cheese is a bonus. Everything is better with cheese. Definitely a great mash up! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.



Pulled Pork Rellenos Tacos
Serves 4

Ingredients


4 poblano peppers
1 cup pulled pork (Virginia Barbecue)
8 small flour tortillas
1/2 cup 2% sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
3/4 cup coleslaw (Men's Club Coleslaw)
1/2 red onion, diced
Pickled jalapenos, slices (optional)

Directions

To grill the poblanos: Pre-heat grill to medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Place poblanos on the grill. Grill for five minutes on each side until skins are charred. Remove poblanos and cover with plastic wrap. When poblanos are cool enough to touch, peel off the skin of the poblanos. Cut poblanos in half from stem to tip, remove seeds, stem and veins being careful not to split open the sides of the pepper.

To assemble the tacos:  Place a poblano half on each tortilla. Place some pork over the chili, top with cheese. Warm in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute to melt the cheese. Top with slaw, onion, and jalapenos.






Linking to:
Miz Helen's Country Cottage: Full Plate Thursday
Love Bakes Good Cakes: Freedom Fridays with All My Bloggy Friends
The Diary of a Real Housewife: Friday Favorites
Ms. enPlace: See Ya in the Gumbo

2 comments:

  1. These Tacos look awesome, they would be full with flavor. Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering. I love rellenos. Combining tacos and rellenos is so fun!
    Thanks for sharing, Denise!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...