Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Two Potato Salad with Sour Cream

This is not your typical potato salad. It is so different and so good! I discovered the recipe in a cookbook I bought at one of those Southern Living parties. Wine, Food & Friends by Karen MacNeil gives meal plans and wine parings by seasons. This Two Potato Salad was part of a summer barbecue for eight. The original recipe was for 3 lbs of potatoes and used creme fraiche. I use less potatoes and sour cream. I have not found creme fraiche at my grocery store yet. The sour cream and vinegar is excellent! It really makes the sweet potatoes more savory than sweet. All in all it is still sweet compared to a typical potato salad. I would describe it as sweet and tangy. The red potatoes stay whole and the sweet potatoes mash up into the sour cream and chive dressing. Delicious with grilled chicken, pork and ham. I have made it several times and used light sour cream and fat free greek yogurt. Both are great and adds to the tangy flavor. Would be great to take to a potluck. I highly recommend the recipe and the book.






Two Potato Salad with Sour Cream
Adapted from: Wine, Food & Friends by Karen MacNeil
Serves 6 to 8

Ingredients

1 pound small red potatoes, halved
1 pound peeled sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 tablespoons white vinegar
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Dash red pepper flakes

Directions

Place potatoes in a large Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 18 minutes or until tender. Drain. Place potatoes in a large bowl. Drizzle with vinegar; toss gently to coat. Let cool to room temperature.

Combine sour cream and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Add to potatoes, tossing gently to coat.






Easter Dinner Plate
shown with Baked Ham and
Green Vegetable Medley


Linking to:
Ms. enPlace: See Ya in the Gumbo
This Gal Cooks: Marvelous Mondays

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious, new follower, found you through The Great Blog Train.

    Margaret from Moving Forward and My Portuguese Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up with those candied yam casseroles (you know the ones) and became used to super-sweet sweet potatoes. But I'm finding as I get older, I prefer savory sweet potatoes--so your description of the sweet potatoes in this salad peaked my interest! Thanks for stopping by this week for the potluck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...