Monday, May 20, 2013

Mother's Day and Asian Party Mix

We had a great Mother's Day. Dear sister had to worked, so I went over to Mom and Dad's with a few things already prepared and a few things to cook there. We snacked on an Asian Party Mix I brought over. Dad watched golf and Mom and I made Pork and Shrimp Dumplings. We had fun! Sipping wine and folding dumplings. We got quite good at it if I do say so myself. Dinner was planned for eight o' clock. So I steam some dumplings for us as appetizers and saved some for when sister arrived. I brought the Oriental Ramen Noodle Salad already prepared. All I had to do was put the salmon in the oven just before dinner. We had a nice evening. It turned out to be one of the latest evening we have had in a while. Good times!


Mother's Day Menu

Mid Day Snack: Asian Party Mix
Dessert: Banana Split Sundaes
[Vanilla ice cream topped with chocolate sauce, sliced bananas,
strawberries, chunks of pineapple, whipped cream and nuts]


The Asian Party Mix was a big hit with Mom. It has a spicy kick from the curry powder, ground red pepper and wasabi peas. It is addictive. The original recipe called for both rice chex and corn chex. I like to substitute Crispix cereal because it has one side that is corn and one that is rice. That way I am not left with two boxes of open cereal. I love the rice crackers in this mix. They have a sweet glaze on them and are often wrapped in nori. Shop around for this ingredient. There are lots of varieties out there. The more variety in the crackers you buy, the more interesting your mix will be. My only disappointment was that the wasabi peas I bought were not their usual pretty green color. They were more of a golden yellow color. I think the green would have added some color to the mix. Next time I will make sure I find green wasabi peas.






Asian Party Mix
Makes approx. 8 cups

Ingredients

4 cups Crispix cereal  
2 cups rice crackers mix with nori
1 cup fat-free pretzel sticks
3/4 cup wasabi peas
1/2 cup lightly salted dry-roasted peanuts
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
Cooking spray

Directions

Preheat oven to 200°.

Combine the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl; set aside. Break rice crackers into bite size pieces if necessary. In a small bowl, combine canola oil and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Pour oil mixture over cereal mixture, tossing gently to coat. Spread the mixture onto a jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 200° for 45 minutes. Cool completely before serving. 


Linking to:
Ms. enPlace: See Ya in the Gumbo

1 comment:

  1. I had to giggle reading your post. If my mom and I were sipping wine, there's no way we would have gotten better making dumplings as the day went by! Sounds like you had yourselves a fine day. Great tip about the crispix.
    Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...