Monday, May 20, 2013

Pork and Shrimp Dumplings

This has to be my favorite dish from our Mother's Day Menu. It was the most fun to make, the tastiest and most aromatic. I saw the recipe on the Chew. The original recipe called for ground chicken. I substituted lean ground pork because it is available at my store. Ground chicken is not. Mom and I had so much fun! We snacked on Asian Party Mix, sipped wine and folded dumplings. We got quite good at it if I do say so myself. From the very beginning I thought this was going to be amazing. The raw filling smelled so good. The aroma only got better as they steamed. The filling was moist, soft and full of flavor. The blend of pork, shrimp, garlic, ginger, soy and sesame oil was perfect. I would not change a thing. I will make again very soon!

Some helpful hints about folding the dumplings: I dusted a plate with cornstarch to prevent them from sticking. I also covered the finished raw dumplings with a damp paper towel. I steamed some dumplings right away for us as appetizers and saved some for when sister arrived. I steamed about 8 at a time and transferred the finish cooked dumplings to a plate. I covered them with foil to keep them warm and to prevent them from drying out. You will need tongs or chopsticks the help remove them from the steamer. I also discovered you can warm the steamed dumplings in the steamer for 3 minutes and they are fresh as when they were first steamed.






Pork and Shrimp Dumplings
Makes 24 to 28 pieces

Ingredients

28 wonton wrappers
1/2 pound lean ground pork
1/2 pound shrimp (peeled and deveined)
2 garlic cloves (chopped)
2 teaspoons fresh ginger (grated)
3 scallions (chopped)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 cups chicken stock
nonstick spray

Directions

For the Dumplings: Bring 1 quart of water and 2 cups of chicken stock to a boil in a medium stock pot. Reduce to a simmer.

Place the pork, shrimp, garlic, ginger, scallions, soy sauce, sesame oil and cornstarch in a food processor and pulse until fully combined.

Brush a wonton wrapper with water. Place 2 teaspoons of the mixture into the center of the wrapper and bring the four corners up to the center and pinch to seal while pressing out any excess air. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.

Place the dumplings into a steamer basket that has been lightly sprayed with nonstick spray, in one layer making sure the edges do not touch, working in batches.

Place the steamer basket into the stock pot and cover with a lid. Cook for 12-15 minutes.

Gently remove the dumplings to a serving platter along with the dipping sauces.

Notes:

Do not pulse the shrimp too finely.  Large pieces of shrimp are delicious in the filling.

Make sure there is space between the steamer and the water. Also, do not overcrowd the steamer.

Watch the water level in the steamer, add more if the level drops.






As for the sauces, I was not a big fan. They were okay, but needed to be altered a bit. On the Chew they suggested using take-out sauce packets to make the dipping sauces. I think that may have contributed to my lack luster approval of the sauces. They were a little bland or stale tasting on their own. I added lemon juice, honey and/or mustard to taste. My family enjoyed the sauces. I think I would try again with premium jar sauces not take-out packets.


Sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce

Ingredients

1/2 cup duck sauce
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon Sriracha

Directions

Whisk together the ingredients until fully combined.

Note: I added honey and lemon juice to taste.


Spicy Mustard Dipping Sauce

Ingredients

1/4 cup spicy Chinese mustard
2 tablespoons hot water
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

Directions

Whisk together the ingredients until fully combined.

Note: I added honey, lemon juice and Dijon mustard.



Linking to:
Love Bakes Good Cakes and With a Blast: All My Bloggy Friends
Ms. enPlace: See Ya in the Gumbo
Carole's Chatter: Food on Fridays - Finger Foods for Parties

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite things to order when we get Chinese takeout! I really should try to make it at home! Thanks so much for sharing at last week's All my Bloggy Friends - Linda and I look forward to seeing what you share this week! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...