Friday, November 1, 2013

Crawfish Boil Soup

I guess I still haven't curbed my crawfish craving. I saw a recipe for Crawfish Boil Soup and it sounded so good. But the recipe had milk and flour in it. That did not sound like a crawfish boil to me. So I decided to make my own recipe. It really turned out good. This soup had lots of spicy crawfish flavor. It gets its spice from Cajun seasoning and a can of Rotel. I decided to puree the tomatoes because you don't have chunks of tomatoes at a crawfish boil. I added one link of smoked turkey sausage because after all some people do include sausage when they boil crawfish. I used Richard's turkey sausage, it is a delicious low fat sausage that is a mix of turkey and pork. I didn't forget the corn and potatoes. I love how the corn gave the soup some sweetness. Dear sister said it was tasty tasty. I agree. Definitely something I will make again. I decided to garnish it with parsley, green onions and lemon zest. The lemon zest was because we always throw lemon halves into our crawfish boil. It was delicious! Now I think I can't wait til spring for more crawfish.


Crawfish Boil Soup
Serves 6

Ingredients

1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 bell pepper, diced
2 ribs of celery, diced
Spiced Salt, to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1 link of smoked turkey sausage, sliced (5 to 6 oz)
1 medium potato, diced
1 (15 oz) can corn, undrained
1 (10 oz) can original Rotel tomatoes, pureed*
1 quart fat free low sodium chicken broth
1/2 tsp. Cajun seasoning
1 lb. crawfish tails
Parsley, chopped
Green onion, sliced
Lemon zest

Directions

In a large stockpot, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat until butter is melted. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery, and cook until onion is soft. Season with Spiced Salt. Add garlic, bay leaf, sausage, and potato; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.

Add corn, pureed Rotel and broth. Bring to a boil, add Cajun seasoning, and crawfish tails. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Remove the bay leaves and serve. Garnish with parsley, green onion and lemon zest, if desired.

Note: *If you are sensitive to spicy food use mild Rotel or maybe tomatoes with onions and garlic.




Linking to:
My Mixing Spoon: Random Recipe Roundup
The Chicken Chick: Clever Chicks Blog Hop
Call Me PMc: Marvelous Mondays
The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen: Show Me Your Plaid Mondays
Townsend House: What I Am Eating
The Tumbleweed Contessa: What'd You Do This Weekend?
Jam Hands: Recipe Sharing Monday
Ms. enPlace: See Ya In the Gumbo
Anyonita Nibbles: Tasty Tuesdays
Memories by the Mile: Tuesday Trivia-South Dakota and Link Party
Love Bakes Good Cakes: The Ultimate Soup Recipe List Linky
Dizzy Busy & Hungry: Wine'd Down Wednesday
Buns In My Oven: What's Cookin' Wednesday
Miz Helen's Country Cottage: Full Plate Thursday
Turnips 2 Tangerines: Four Season's Blog Hop
My Turn for Us: Freedom Fridays with All My Bloggy Friends
My Pinterventures: Souper Bowl 2015 Party
Carole's Chatter: Food on Fridays - Crayfish, Lobster & Crab

11 comments:

  1. This is the most opportune time. This soup will be perfect for this cold weather.

    -http://headsortailscajuncrawfish.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your soup looks delicious!! Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise, I'm guessing what you call crawfish I call crayfish - I just love it - haven't ever used it in a soup though! Cheers from Carole of Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Carole, Yes you say "crayfish" I say "crawfish", LOL! This was my first soup too. I normal eat them boiled or in a bisque or etouffee. They work great in a soup as long as you use a flavorful stock. When I made a gumbo the roux overpowered their flavor. Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. This looks like a delicious soup. I hail from the same part of the world as Carole, where we call it crayfish, and crayfish here is an astronomical price, so a bit too extravagant maybe for turning into soup. I'm guessing that prawns or shrimp would make a great substitute though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Here in Louisiana there are typically plentiful, but your right I bet shrimp would to great!

      Delete
  5. This is interesting, Denise. I've never seen a crawfish boil turned into a soup. It's kinda blowing my mind! Who knows, this may be the next big spinoff--like crawfish boil potatoes.
    Thanks for coming by and linking this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Denise,
    We just love a crab boil and I know we will love your Crawfish Boil Soup. Hope you are having a great day and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...