Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Bombay Chicken and Rice

I honestly do not remember how I came across this recipe. Over the years I have changed the recipe a bit. The original recipe used all canned ingredients; chicken, English peas and plain diced tomatoes. I wanted more spice and fresh ingredients. So I started using left over chicken or even grilled chicken. I punched up the spice by using Rotel tomatoes. This recipe is spicy! So if you can't handle the heat, use plain tomatoes or mild Rotel. This time I used the rest of the poached chicken from the Curried Chicken Salad I just made. Sometimes I make the rice with out the chicken and grill a chicken breast seasoned with curry powder. Both techniques are delicious. I LOVE the warm and spicy flavors of India in the rice dish. The texture is great too. I like the crunch of the cashews and the fresh pop of the peas. It is another quick meal that is flavorful and colorful to boot.




Bombay Chicken and Rice
Servings: 4

Ingredients

2 Tbsp. butter
6 oz. box curry rice pilaf mix
10 oz. skinned and boned poached chicken, diced
10 oz. can original Rotel tomatoes, drained
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup unsalted cashews

Directions

Prepare the rice according to package directions for stovetop or microwave. Stir in the chicken, tomatoes, and peas in the last 15 minutes of cooking time. Cook according to directions until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Serve garnished with the cashews.

Note: If you cannot find a curry pilaf mix, add 1 tablespoon of curry powder when you add the seasoning mix.




Linking to:
Dizzy Busy & Hungry: Wine'd Down Wednesday
Buns In My Oven: What's Cookin' Wednesday
Miz Helen's Country Cottage: Full Plate Thursday
Turnips 2 Tangerines: Four Seasons Blog Hop
Ms. enPlace: See Ya in the Gumbo

4 comments:

  1. This looks yummy! I have a salad where I coat cashews in curry spices and it's always delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denise,
    Your Bombay Chicken and Rice looks awesome! Thank you so much for sharing this special recipe with Full Plate Thursday and have a fantastic week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of this - will have to give it a go. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like all the colors and textures in your bowl! The fact that this is very spicy makes me want to try it even more.

    Thank you for sharing, Denise!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...