Sunday, May 4, 2014

Mexican Egg Thingy

Have you heard of the Sunday Eggy Thing? It is a breakfast for dinner creation that Dr. Phil made on Rachael Ray. It is so delicious! Basically it is a flour tortilla fried in olive oil, seasoned with salt, topped with fried eggs and soy sauce. The description doesn't do it justice because the technique fuses the ingredients into the Eggy Thing. You have to watch the video, you will totally get it then. I confess I never can remember the name of this unusual dish. In my house it is known as a "Egg Thingy". Sorry Dr. Phil. I also make a smaller version. Mine is a fajita size tortilla and only one egg. I love the soy sauce with the rich egg yolk! The crispy tortilla is amazing too. A must try.

This morning I went rogue and invented my own Mexican "Egg Thingy". I still had a scoop of Guacamole left from yesterday's Chef Salad Al Carbon. So I thought I had to put it to good use. I am going through an avocado and Sriracha phase. They are delicious together on toast. But I didn't have bread, all I had was flour tortillas. Light bulb! I will make an Egg Thingy and top it with guacamole! Such a great idea. It was de-li-cious! I skipped the soy sauce and drizzled the thingy with Sriracha. SO GOOD! Not something you want to serve your sweetie for a early breakfast. It is probably a little too savory and spicy for 6:00 am (inside joke). But it is perfect for brunch or breakfast for dinner. I will be making this again real soon.



Mexican Egg Thingy
Serves 1

Ingredients

Olive oil
1 - 6" flour tortilla
1 large egg
Kosher salt
Sriracha chili sauce
Guacamole (click here for recipe)

Directions

Drizzle olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, put a tortilla into the pan and heat for a few seconds. Crack the egg on top of the tortilla. Let the egg cook on top of the tortilla for a minute or two just until eggs start to set. When the tortilla is brown underneath, flip the tortilla over with a spatula and cook the egg on the other side for another minute. While cooking, sprinkle with a dash of salt. Once cooked, remove to a plate and serve egg side up with a drizzle of S
riracha and a scoop of guacamole.



Linking to:
The Chicken Chick: Clever Chicks Blog Hop
Ms. enPlace: See Ya in the Gumbo
This Gal Cooks: Marvelous Mondays
Horrific Knits: Inspired Weekends
The Tumbleweed Contessa: What'd You Do This Weekend
Stone Cottage Adventures: Tuesdays with a Twist
Anyonita Nibbles: Tasty Tuesdays
Dizzy Busy & Hungry: Wine'd Down Wednesday
Family Home and Life: Wow Us Wednesday
Turnips 2 Tangerines: Four Seasons Blog Hop
My Turn for Us: Freedom Fridays with All My Bloggy Friends

6 comments:

  1. Ahh...hahaha!! I love the name of this delicious looking "thingy"!! I'd have to double this recipe, because that's how many I could eat of these! They look incredible.
    Funny, we were just talking about Rachel Ray at work, and wondering if her talk show was still on...
    Awesome post! I look forward to catching up on your blog..it's nice to meet you.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the name of your dish! Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly laughed out loud reading your title for this dish!
    This looks so much fancier than it really is...so easy to do.
    Thank you for sharing, Denise. Hope you are enjoying these spring temps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, let me tell you your Mexican Egg Thingy looks absolutely delicious and I'm going to try it for sure. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise, your egg thingy reminded me so much of an egg thingy Dad used to make. He would simply call it "Mexican Breakfast." It was the poor man's version of huevos rancheros. LOVED it! That's why I featured your recipe. Reminded me of Dad's breakfasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool! Your Dad was way ahead of me and Dr. Phil. Mexican Breakfast is a good name too. So glad it brought back a food memory for you. Thanks so much for featuring it at Tasty Tuesdays. Have a great evening! Christie

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...