Sunday, November 16, 2014

Smoky 15 Bean Soup

15 bean soup was another meal from my childhood. We usually just followed the directions on the bean bag. We almost always added ham too. It is such a hearty warm soup. I love how the beans cook at different times. The small tender beans like the lentils break down and thicken the broth. Some how I got 15 bean soup on my mind and I just had to make a pot.

Remember I told you about 2 New Trinity Flavors I discovered in Louisiana Cookin' magazine. Well I was inspired to use the Smoky Trinity to add flavor to my 15 Bean Soup. This was the perfect addition. It adds both a smoky flavor and some spicy heat. I made this pot without added salt, I figured the ham is already high in sodium. It was so delicious. I think the chipotle chile powder is responsible for most of the heat. I really liked it, but if you do not like spicy cut back on the amount or leave it out. I decided to add a drizzle of Balsamic vinegar for a garnish. I LOVED IT! It worked so well with the spicy heat, like hot sauce on a plate of red beans and rice. The perfect finishing touch. I will definetly make 15 bean soup the smoky way from here on out.



Smoky 15 Bean Soup
Makes 14 – 16 servings

Ingredients

20 oz. bag 15 Bean Soup beans
1 recipe of Smoky Trinity (recipe below)
14.5 oz. can no salt added diced tomatoes
12 oz. diced ham

Optional garnish for serving:
a splash of balsamic vinegar

Directions

Place beans in a large pot with 10 cups of water. Bring to a rapid boil. Reduce heat, cover and continue boiling 1-1/2 hours. Stir occasionally.

After boiling, add remaining ingredients. Simmer covered for 30 – 45 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.


Smoky Trinity
Makes about 2 cups

Ingredients

1 poblano pepper
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. ground chipotle chile pepper
1 tsp. kosher salt (omit if following a low sodium diet)
1/2 tsp. black pepper

Directions

Pre-heat grill to medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Place poblano on the grill. Grill for five minutes on each side on medium high heat. Remove and cover with plastic wrap. When poblano is cool enough to touch, peel off the skin. Cut in half from stem to tip, remove seeds, stem and veins. Chop into small dice. Transfer to a small bowl, and add onion, celery, garlic, paprika, chipotle, salt (if using) and black pepper. Use in recipes calling for the trinity (onions, bell pepper and celery).





Linking to:
Ms. enPlace: See Ya in the Gumbo
Love Bakes Good Cakes: The Ultimate Soup Recipe List Linky
Tumbleweed Contessa: What'd You Do This Weekend?
Stone Cottage Adventures: Tuesdays with a Twist
Anyonita Nibbles: #tastytuesdays
Yesterfood: Treasure Box Tuesday
Turnips 2 Tangerines: Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop
Dizzy Busy & Hungry: Wine'd Down Wednesday
My Pinterventures: Souper Bowl 2015 Party

2 comments:

  1. Denise, this does sound soooo good! I love beans soups, and your Smoky Trinity sounds amazing! Thank you for sharing this with us at Treasure Box Tuesday- pinned! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the smoky twist on bean soup. Thank you for sharing with See Ya in the Gumbo! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...