Saturday, July 4, 2015

Chorizo Tacos

Okay I am way too old to just be discovering Chorizo. Mom, dear sister and I tried a taqueria that was mentioned in the paper recently. Taqueria La Michoacana boosts they have the "Best Mexican Tacos in Town". The Shreveport Times article and many others support their claim. They all commented that their dishes are authentic Mexican. We tried four different types of tacos. Dear sister tried the carne asada (roast beef). Mom and I were a little more adventurous and tried the cabeza (roast beef cheek) and chorizo (Mexican sausage). We all tried the al pastor (roast pork). I really really loved the chorizo! Everything was delicious but it just had the most flavor punch. Which is lucky for me because I can make the chorizo tacos at home. I don't know how I could do justice to any of the others. I will go back to Taqueria La Michoacana for all the others. I will not even attempt to make them at home. I have always been told chorizo taste like cumin, so I was never in a hurry to try it. They were wrong! I think it is so much more complex than that. I loved it! It was moist and crispy and so flavorful. I don't think it is healthy in the least but this is just one of those things you have to indulge in. In fact that is totally what I did this Friday. I made my tacos and thoroughly enjoyed them. In fact, I am looking at this photo and thinking when can I make more? I mean they are so simple, four maybe six ingredients and you have decadent tacos. I say four to six because the restaurant served theirs with lime wedges, green salsa and a fried serrano. I got so excited when mine were plated that I forgot all about the lime and salsa. Well let me tell you they are delicious both ways. So decadent! The chorizo is silky in texture and crispy around the edges. It is a little spicy too. I love the sweet caramelized onions and the fresh crunch of the raw onion. I love the fresh cilantro but it is not as noticeable in this taco as in others. It is just a fresh green topping. I love these tacos! Now I just need to stop myself from making them to often. Maybe it is a good thing I am just discovering the decadent fattiness of chorizo. Try it! Don't wait any longer!



Chorizo Tacos
Serves 2; Makes 4 Tacos

Ingredients

Canola oil
1 yellow onion, divided
1 tube (9 oz.) pork chorizo
Handful of cilantro, chopped
8 corn tortillas
1 lime, cut into wedges (optional)
Green salsa (optional)

Directions

Slice half of the onion into thin rings. Finely chop the other half of the onion and set aside. Heat a large pan over medium high heat, drizzle with oil and add sliced onion. Cook onion flipping often until translucent and browned on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside. Add chorizo to pan, cook stirring often until most of the moisture has cooked away and the chorizo is deep reddish brown with crispy edges. Remove from pan and set aside. Wipe pan clean with a paper towel. Drizzle in more oil and add corn tortillas. Fry tortillas for a few seconds on each side to soften them. Remove tortillas to a plate lined with paper towels. To assemble a taco place two tortillas in a stack on a plate. Top tortillas with 1/4 of the chorizo, caramelized onions, raw onions and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and green salsa (optional).

Print It



Linking to:
The Tumbleweed Contessa: What'd You Do This Weekend?
Yesterfood: Treasure Box Tuesday
God's Growing Garden: Tuesdays with a Twist
Buns In My Oven: What's Cookin' Wednesday
The Lazy Gastronome: Taco Tuesday Link Party

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...