Sunday, July 12, 2015

Peach Pico de Gallo

This post started out as a taco idea, but I soon discovered that one ingredient stood out as the best part of the taco. The Peach Pico de Gallo was definitely the star. The taco was okay but nothing to drool over. The crunchy, sweet and juicy topping was something to get excited about. How did the new pico come to be? Well I wanted to make a fruit topping for a mustard grilled pork taco. I used my usual Pico de Gallo recipe and substituted 3 peaches for some of the tomatoes. I also used a yellow bell pepper instead of the green. This is what makes the peach pico crunchy. I omitted the garlic altogether and added some agave nectar to adjust the sweetness of the peaches. It really turned out amazing! It is great with chips for a sweet and salty snack. It complements BBQ flavors well. It is also delicious with pork, chicken, fish and shrimp. I also tried some on a ground turkey taco that I had seasoned with Piri Piri Barbecue Sauce. Very good! Definitely a great use of all those summer peaches available now. I will definitely make another batch before summer is gone. I hope you will too.



Peach Pico de Gallo
Makes about 5 cups

Ingredients

3 large peaches, pitted and diced
1 roma tomato, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 small red onion, diced
Juice of 1 lime
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp white balsamic vinegar
1 tsp agave nectar, or to taste
Handful of cilantro, chopped
Kosher salt to taste

Directions

Chop all ingredients and combine in a large bowl.  Add lime juice, oil, vinegar and cilantro. Stir to combine and season with salt to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.  Serve with chips, BBQ, pork, chicken. shrimp, or fish. Try it as a salad topper too!





1 comment:

  1. Hi Denise,
    This looks great, I am so much into using fruit in savory dishes lately. I pinned this and have to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...