Sunday, November 18, 2012

A Thanksgiving Menu

I love Thanksgiving. It may just be one of my favorite holidays.  My favorite person in the whole world comes to stay with me, there is great food, family and friends. I have decided rather than waiting for the Thanksgiving meal to be prepared and photographed to post our family recipes. I will post the recipes and update the post with photos later.

Our family Thanksgiving is a mix of old south Louisiana family recipes and new family traditions. The two traditional south Louisiana family recipes you might like to know about are Oyster Dressing and Sweet Potato Dressing. It was not Thanksgiving or Christmas without these sides on the table with the Turkey. Oyster Dressing is a traditional side on my Mom’s side of the family.  I guess it could be called Rice Dressing or Dirty Rice. It was served at every Norco, LA holiday meal. Sweet Potato Dressing is a traditional side on Dad’s side of the family. It was always on the table with the Turkey when we were in Reserve, LA.  My mother (and now me) has to make two dressings each year so my father can have his favorite too. The rest of the menu is considered new traditions. I have been brining and roasting the Turkey for years. Brining really delivers a very moist turkey. The only item that seems to change from year to year is the green vegetable side. We just have not settled on one recipe. Even as I type this we are still debating. It all depends on how pretty the fresh green beans are this year. Below is our menu this year. I will post photos as the dishes are prepared. I hope you and yours have a very Happy Thanksgiving!



Nibbles

Beverages
Cable Car Martini
Pinot Noir

Starter

Dinner
Steamed Green Beans or Italian Artichoke Casserole
Cranberry Sauce

Dessert

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...