Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Potato Salad with Olives

Where there is Gumbo there must be potato salad. We almost always make potato salad when we serve Gumbo. Sunday we made one to serve with the Turkey Gumbo. My mother's potato salad is different from any I have ever had. She adds olives and celery. The olives support the usual dill pickle in adding a salty bite. The celery gives a nice crunch. This potato salad is so good you just can't make enough. You will miss it when it is gone. I promise.




Potato Salad with Olives
Serves 12

Ingredients

5 lbs potatoes (any thin skin potato, I like Yukon gold)
5 eggs
3 ribs of celery, finely chopped
2 serving spoons dill relish
1 small jar(5.75 oz) sliced pimento stuffed olives
1/4 small onion, finely diced
1 Tbsp mustard
1 cup mayonnaise
Handful Parsley, chopped
salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes

Directions

Peel potatoes, quarter or cut into uniform sized pieces. Place in a pot of cold salted water until all potatoes are peeled and quartered. Drain potatoes and cover with fresh water and large pinch of salt. Place on high heat and bring to a boil. Boil 10 to 13 minutes until a fork goes into potato and comes out easily. Drain potatoes and return to pot.

Place eggs in a saucepan, cover with cold water. When water comes to a boil, turn off the heat and let sit on burner for 13 minutes. Drain and cover with cold water. Peel eggs and mince with a fork.

Combine celery, dill relish, olives, onion and parsley in a large bowl, stir to combine. Add eggs and potatoes, stir again to combine. Mix mustard into mayonnaise, add to salad, mix well adding salt, black and red pepper seasoning to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Linking to:
Carole's Chatter: Food on Fridays - American Favorites

2 comments:

  1. Growing up in New Orleans, we didn't eat potato salad w/ gumbo. It wasn't until I moved to Lafayette at age 19 that I ever tried this combination. And boy do I love it now! Next time I make potato salad I'm for sure adding olives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Potato salad is a side for us. I haven't been brave enough to try it in the Gumbo bowl. I know many eat it that way. But not me. Thanks for posting, Michelle!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...