Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Tomato Florentine Soup

The first time I had Tomato Florentine Soup was back in high school. I had just graduated and spent the summer at the lake and going to Weight Watchers. After each meeting my mother and I would go get soup and salad at Shoney's. I think the Tomato Florentine Soup and the salad bar was the secret to my summer weight loss that year. I have tried a couple of soup recipes trying to recreate what I remember. It wasn't until I combined two recipes that I came up with the nostalgic soup. It is the perfect blend of pasta and spinach in a sweet tomato broth. I made a pot for dinner tonight. I am looking forward to the leftovers for lunch tomorrow. So good!




Tomato Florentine Soup
Makes 8 servings

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes with onion, celery and bell peppers
10 oz condensed tomato bisque 
4 cups low-sodium fat free chicken broth
4 cups low-sodium mixed vegetable juice(like V-8)
1 - 1/2 cup small shell macaroni
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg    
1 Tbsp sugar    
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Heat the oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is very tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are softened and the liquid is reduced by about half, about 5 minutes. Add tomato bisque stir to combine.

Stir in the broth, macaroni, and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the macaroni is tender, 8-10 minutes. Stir in the spinach, pepper, nutmeg and sugar. Cook until the spinach just begins to wilt, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat. Serve sprinkled with the cheese.

Linking to:
Love Bakes Good Cakes: The Ultimate Soup Recipe List Linky

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of adding spinach to tomato soup (spinach is my favorite vegetable). Why have I not thought of that?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Michelle. It is a great combination. I just know you will like. Have a great day!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...