Friday, February 1, 2013

Spicy Vegetable Delight

I love to order vegetarian dishes at Chinese restaurants. Some call the dish Buddha’s Delight or Vegetable Deluxe or Vegetable Delight. They are all favorites of mine. Each restaurant uses different vegetables. The most common are onion, bell pepper, cabbage, snow peas, mushrooms, carrot, water chestnuts and baby corn. Sometimes I will ask to have it made a little spicy. Today I tried to make my own spicy version at home. I used baby bok choy in my version, I had too! They have been winking at me at the store. They are really, really cute and very tasty. In my opinion, they look like a cross between cabbage and celery. All of the other veggies I used are commonly found in the restaurant version. To make it a little spicy, I used garlic chili sauce. It was a very delicious lunch. I think this is something I will make again and again. I may try a few other vegetable combinations in the future, maybe shop for what looks good that day. Definitely a great way to eat your veggies.




Spicy Vegetable Delight
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients

1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp garlic chili sauce
2 tsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 onion, quartered and thickly sliced
2 baby bok choy, thickly sliced
1 (8 oz) carton white mushrooms, thickly sliced
1 orange or red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1” pieces
1 (8 oz) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 (15 oz) can baby corn, drained
3 scallions, sliced on the diagonal
2 cups cooked white or brown rice (optional)

Directions

Combine the broth, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and cornstarch in a small bowl; set aside.

Heat a nonstick wok or a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl in the oil, then add the onion. Stir-fry 1 minute. Add bok choy, mushrooms, bell pepper, water chestnuts and baby corn. Stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Add the broth mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and garnish with scallions. Serve over rice.

Linking to:
Buns in My Oven: What's Cookin Wednesday
Miz Helen's Country Kitchen: Full Plate Thursday
This Gal Cooks: Marvelous Mondays Link Party
Carole's Chatter: Food on Fridays Stir-Fry


4 comments:

  1. I love Hoisin sauce in nearly everything--this recipe looks like an excellent way to celebrate the Chinese New Year (I really wasn't looking forward to eating snake, spicy veggies suits me just fine).

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Kirsten. I hope you like it. Snake! I don't think so. Not for me either. Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. Hi Denise,
    I just love Veggies and this would be a great meal for me, yum! Hope you have a fantastic week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you are have a great Valentine weekend and enjoy your new Red Plate.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...