Sunday, September 15, 2013

Hunan Chili Mushrooms

Sometimes I just crave nothing but vegetables. It is usually after a week where I did not cook much. Or I dined on quick convenient foods like sandwiches, burgers, pizza, etc. Usually the first thing that pops in my head is veggie stir-fries. Or big portobello mushrooms. I love mushrooms! 

This recipe is for one of those veggie cravings. I took a beef recipe from a check out stand recipe mag and substituted portobello mushrooms. It was so good! Not too spicy just right. I loved the combination of mushrooms, peppers and corn. The portobellos really do deliver a beefy texture and flavor in this dish. The only problem is they made everything a little brown. Does not make for a pretty photo. I think next time I will try baby bellas cut in half or quartered. If that does not help I will try white button mushrooms. I am pretty sure it is the gills of the portobellos that are to blame for the browning of this dish. Maybe the baby bellas will have the beefy flavor and less color. Definitely worth making again and refining it a little. Maybe next week in fact. I will be sure to share the results.




Hunan Chili Mushrooms
Serves 2 or 4 as part of a multi-course meal

Ingredients

1 lb mushrooms (portobello, baby bellas or white), sliced
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
3 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp dry sherry
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp brown sugar
1 can baby corn, drained
3 green onions cut into 1 inch pieces
1” piece of ginger, peeled and minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 jalapeno, seeded and cut into thin strips
1 tsp hot chili oil
Hot cooked rice

Directions

Prepare mushrooms and other ingredients. Combine 1 Tbsp vegetable oil, soy sauce, sherry, cornstarch and brown sugar in medium bowl, set aside.

Heat work over high heat for 1 minute or until hot. Drizzle 1 Tbsp vegetable oil into wok and heat 30 seconds. Add mushrooms; stir-fry until mushrooms begin to brown. Push mushrooms to the sides of wok drizzle in remaining 1 Tbsp vegetable oil add corn, onions, ginger, garlic, red pepper and jalapeno to wok stir-fry 1 minute. Add sauce mixture and chili oil. Cook and stir until heated through and sauce begins to thicken. Serve over hot rice.






To see how this recipe has be updated (Click here).

Linking to:
Ms. enPlace: See Ya in the Gumbo
The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen: Show Me Your Plaid Monday's
This Gal Cooks: Marvelous Mondays Link Party
Love Bakes Good Cakes: All My Bloggy Friends
Memories By the Mile: Tuesday Trivia - Arizona and Link Party
Anyonita's Nibbles: Tasty Tuesdays
Buns In My Oven: What's Cookin Wednesday
Carole's Chatter: Food on Fridays Stir-Fry
My Turn For Us: Freedom Fridays

1 comment:

  1. While I have that annoying problem of craving bacon or chocolate rather than vegetables, I'm a big fan of mushrooms. I would give up bacon for this dish!

    Brown is hard to photograph--stews, rice and gravy. I find white hard too. Like cream sauces. Your white plate as the backdrop and red chopsticks for accent really liven up the photos.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...