Sunday, September 1, 2013

Sangrita Salad

Have you heard of Sangrita? Well let me tell you about it. Sangrita is a mixture of tomato, orange and lime juice all spiced up. In Mexico, they sip it alternately with good tequila. I think it taste like a Bloody Mary and a Margarita all mashed together. So delicious and spicy! I like it just as a mock-tail  But I did try it with tequila and it totally changes the tequila. It taste a little more smoky to me, also very delicious.

I decided that if this was a great beverage, why wouldn't it be a great salad? Well I was right, I love the orange and tomato together. It is a very refreshing flavor but has a spicy kick too. I garnished the salad with a little red onion and cilantro. It made for a beautiful plate and the red onion adds a little heat of it's own.

I made the salad twice slicing the tomato and orange in different ways each time. Both were delicious and very pretty. Next time, I plan to chop everything in a small dice. I think it would make a great pico for chicken or fish.





Sangrita Salad
Serves 2

Ingredients

1 orange, peeled and sliced
1 tomato, sliced
Spiced Salt, to taste (or salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes)
2 Tbsp red onion, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp cilantro, roughly chopped
2 Tbsp vegetable juice (V8)
2 Tbsp orange juice
1 Tbsp lime juice
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1-1/2 to 2 tsp hot sauce
1 Tbsp olive oil

Directions

To slice the orange, start by trimming off the very top and bottom of the orange with a sharp knife. Next, set the orange on end, and carefully cut the skin from its flesh, beginning at the top and following the curves down. There should be no white pith left just orange flesh. Then, carefully slice the orange into 8-10 round slices.

Slice the tomato into 8-10 slices. Arrange the slices of tomato and orange alternating on two salad plates. Sprinkle with spiced salt, red onion and cilantro. Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl, whisking well. Drizzle or spoon over each salad. Place in refrigerator until chilled. Serve chilled.

Note: Another way to plate this salad would be to supreme or segment the orange and slice the tomato into wedges (see photo below). Here is a link to a how to on supreme an orange.


Shown in alternating slices

Shown in supreme segments and wedges

Linking to:
Ms. enPlace: See Ya in the Gumbo
The Tumbleweed Contessa: What'd you do this weekend?
This Gal Cooks: Marvelous Mondays
Jam Hands: Recipe Sharing Monday
With a Blast: All My Bloggy Friends
Memories by the Mile: Tuesday Trivia-Vermont and Link Party
Anyonita's Nibbles: Tasty Tuesdays
My Turn for Us: Freedom Fridays
Carole's Chatter: Food on Friday: Oranges, Mandarins & Grapefruit
My Pinterventures: Summer Salads Party

3 comments:

  1. Never would have thought to pair tomato and orange, but after reading about it and seeing it, it looks and sounds refreshing. I like the idea of chopping and using it to top grilled chicken. Nice summer meal!
    Thank you for stopping by this week, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how simple this dish is .... and I would be tempted to eat it as a meal in itself! I bet it's fabulous :) Thanks so much for linking up to All My Bloggy Friends! I hope you'll join us again - the new party starts tomorrow {Tuesday} at 7 am Eastern time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks Delicious, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...