Saturday, September 28, 2013

Spiced Chickpea Tomato Soup

Do you ever have a hard time making a grocery list? I have needed to go to the store for days (I went today finally). I just could not decide what to cook or put on the list. This is a pantry soup I made yesterday from what was still hanging around. It is full of warm spice flavors from India. It is a great soup for fall. This soup has a nice tart flavor too. You would swear their is some citrus in the recipe. It is very creamy with not a bit of cream. This soup is so satisfying that just a cup will do. It would be wonderful with a mozzarella grill cheese. Or if you prefer go for the whole bowl and drizzle it with some yogurt. If you can not find whole cardamon I have a substitute for you. Garam Masala is commonly made of cumin, cardamon, clove, coriander, black pepper and cinnamon. You could use 2 or 3 teaspoons of store bought Garam Masala for my blend of spices. I plan to make it chunky style next time. I will grind the whole spices in a spice mill and leave all the veggies whole. I think I will like the texture of the soup not pureed too. This is really a great twist on tomato soup.




Spiced Chickpea Tomato Soup
Makes about 2 quarts
Serves: 4 or 8 as a starter

Ingredients

2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1” of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 cans chickpeas, drained
2 tsp whole cumin
2 green cardamom pods, seeds only
1 black cardamom pod, seeds only
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 small bay leaf
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 cups chicken stock

Directions

Heat a medium pot with olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, ginger, garlic and cook until onion is translucent. Add chickpeas to pot and cook a minute or two. Season the chickpeas with all the spices. Stir in tomatoes, then stock. Bring to a boil reduce to a simmer. Simmer soup 10 minutes to combine flavors. Remove from heat; puree with an immersion blender and serve.




Linking to:
Ms. enPlace: See Ya in the Gumbo
This Gal Cooks: Marvelous Mondays
The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen: Show Me Your Plaid Mondays
Love Bakes Good Cakes: All My Bloggy Friends
Anyonita's Nibbles: Tasty Tuesdays
Buns In My Oven: What's Cookin Wednesday
Horrific Knits: Fall Into the Holidays

2 comments:

  1. This soup look amazing. I love that it has chickpeas to provide some protein with the tomatoes. I'm pinning it for now to make soon.. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy do I ever have a hard time. I shop once a week and dread making a menu--which is just the silliest thing considering all the great food I'm exposed to daily through blogging.

    We are big fans of chickpeas--I like the idea of them in a tomato soup. And all those spices must make this soup so aromatic.

    Thanks for stopping in this week!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...