Monday, March 9, 2015

Microwave Spiced Rice

A traditional side to Piri Piri Chicken is a spicy yellow rice. I made a microwave version to put on my plate. It was so easy and you can serve it from the very dish you cook it in. I love the bright yellow color. We can all thank the turmeric for the pretty color. In this small amount you really don't taste it. It is just there for color. However you do taste all the other ingredients. They all work together to make this rice delicious and well seasoned. It would make a terrific side for any grilled meat. I look forward to trying it with Piri Piri Shrimp or Fish. I hope you enjoy this easy side.



Microwave Spiced Rice
Serves 4

Ingredients

Olive oil cooking spray
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup uncooked white rice
2 cups water
1/4 cup frozen peas
1-1/2 tsp chicken bouillon
1/4 tsp turmeric

Directions

Spray a 1-1/2 quart round casserole with lid with cooking spray. Add onion and red bell pepper, microwave on high covered for 1 minute. Remove from microwave and add all other ingredients, stir to combine. Place two layers of paper towel between casserole and lid, microwave on high for 5 minutes. Microwave another 15 minutes at 50% power. Fluff with a fork and serve.





Linking to:
Ms. enPlace: See Ya in the Gumbo

1 comment:

  1. My mom made those packets of yellow rice often when I was growing up. I think it was one of her favorite sides. I love that you've created a homemade version. And that it is so colorful and festive.
    We finally seem to be done with the rain and are enjoying spring temps down here. Hope you are too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...