Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Low Sodium Italian Sausage

UGH! This post almost did not happen tonight. You may want to skip down a bit I am about to rant a little. I started preparing this sausage recipe and when I went to get the fennel seeds I realized I only had a teaspoon. Woops! I should have taken inventory I guess. So I rushed out looking "comfortable" to a store where no one would recognize me, running one yellow light as I go. But they did not have any fennel on the shelf. Back to the car. Oh no! I need gas. Stop at the gas station choosing the slowest pump there. Back in the car, run yellow light number two. Driving to second store thinking to myself calm down, this is no big deal. Wait another yellow light. Stop it Denise! Calm down. Oh! A nice parking spot right up front at Wal-mart things are looking up. Look two bottles of fennel seed left get them all just in case. Okay... Well that was interesting? But it is done now, your almost home. Last yellow light really? Yes really! So if you were counting that is 4 yellow lights, 2 stores, 1 gas station, 1 great parking spot and all the fennel I could find. DONE!

The first time I made this sausage it was to stuff mini peppers. I wanted to develop a no salt added sausage so I could make the Grilled Italian Sausage Stuffed Peppers for my family. I used all turkey the first time and it was delicious. This time I decided to use both lean turkey and pork. I used most of it right away in a soup (click here for recipe) but stored some as links in the freezer. It really turned out delicious. The pork adds just the right amount of fat. The meatballs I made browned well and there was little fat left behind. Dear sister asked if there was Parmesan, egg or bread crumb in them. But nope just a few simple spices and a little water to help incorporate them. I think it also helps make the sausage moist too. I will definitely keep making this recipe. It would be great for lasagna or sandwiches with peppers and onions. There is tons of low sodium potential in this recipe.



Low Sodium Italian Sausage

Ingredients

1 lb. lean ground pork
19.2 oz. 93% lean ground turkey
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsp. fennel seeds
1-1/2 tsp. black pepper
1-1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. paprika

Directions

Crumble pork and turkey alternating as you go into a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle with minced garlic and gently combine. Poke holes into surface of pork and turkey mixture. Place fennel in a mortar and pestle and crush. Add remaining spices crushing again to combine. Add cold water to seasoning mixture to create a slurry. Pour half into the holes in meat mixture and gently combine. Poke holes into surface of pork and turkey mixture again. Repeat process with the remaining slurry and gently combine. Form into 4 oz. links, patties for burgers, meatballs or store in bulk for future use. Freezes well.



 






Use old style sandwich bags to wrap individual links 
and store in a zipper top bag in the freezer. It will stop the links 
from freezing together and you can take out just what you need.



Use a tablespoon measure to help form 
meatballs for soup or pasta sauces.


Linking to:
Dizzy Busy & Hungry: Wine'd Down Wednesday
My Turn for Us: Freedom Fridays with All My Bloggy Friends
Ms. enPlace: See Ya in the Gumbo
Carole's Chatter: Food on Friday: Sausages

1 comment:

  1. Fennel seeds must have been popular!
    I love that you made your on Italian sausage. Great to use for so many dishes.
    Thank you for sharing, Denise. Go easy on those yellow lights! Haha.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...